We’re looking for volunteers to help deliver an exciting Explorer Scout programme across Spen Valley.
Members of our TeamExplorers will help plan, resource & deliver the Explorer Scout Programme using instructor-led, parent-led and young person led activities.
You will be an enthusiastic sharer of skills and knowledge in a non-formal manner, which may often involve learning the skills before sharing them.
Explorer Scouts is the 4th section for our youth members who are aged 14-18 years . In particular:
- Support the delivery of a safe, exciting and stimulating Balanced Programme for the Unit taking into account the needs, interests and abilities of the Young People by:
- building and developing young people’s confidence, sense of adventure and outdoor skills, as well as encouraging them to explore their beliefs and attitudes and be creative.
- Encouraging Explorers to work together and take the lead on all sorts of projects, from community based work to planning games and activities for their meetings.
- Providing regular opportunities and supporting the Explorers to express their views on the programme and running the Unit, and then helping to ensure that those views are taken into account.
Scouting has a core set of training that Team members will need to undertake:
- Module 1 – Essential Information
- General Data Protection Regulations
- Module 3 – Tools for the Role
Tools of the Role
Your role will require you to use the following software packages:
- Online Scout Manager
- Office365 (Word, Excel, Outlook, Teams, Powerpoint)
If you have no experience of those packages, we will support you in gaining skills.
- Delivery of a safe, exciting and stimulating Balanced Programme for the Explorer Scout Section taking into account the needs, interests and abilities of the Explorer Scouts.
- Ensure the safe delivery of the programme in accordance with the Policy, Organisation and Rules of The Scout Association.
- Assisting young people to achieve badges and awards.
- Assisting with residential experiences for the section.
- Assisting the section with taking part in a varied, exciting and safe programme of activities.
|Explorer Scouts||Why you’re doing the role|
|Explorer Section Leader||Your Team Leader|
|Assistant Explorer Section Leader||Your Spare Team Leader|
|District Explorer Scout Commissioner||Explorer Head Honcho|
|Assistant District Commissioner – Scouts / District Scout Leader||Supplier of Explorers|
|Explorer Unit Teams||Your colleagues & Support Network|
Every volunteer who applies will be required to undergo a DBS check, and a brief interview with the District Appointments Panel to ensure you know what you’ve agreed to undertake.
Whilst that’s going through the process, any Mandatory Training needs completing within 5 months of DBS being submitted.
Once you have been in role for 6-9 months, we’ll have a chat with you to see what further training opportunities you wish to explore. Your prior experience, and how you would like to continue your Scouting journey, will be part of that discussion.
Some of the opportunities available to you are listed below; this list is not exhaustive.
|Team Leader||Take on a role that is more directly responsible for your team and gain your Wood Badge.|
|Skills Instructor||Work towards an instructor qualification such as Shooting, Archery, Climbing. Grant funding may be available to subsidise the courses.|
|Training Adviser||Supporting others through their training.|